Sunday, January 25, 2015

Mile 26 with Basal Cell Nevus Syndrome




As mentioned earlier, my back will be the focus for the next few months. I had surgery dates on December 8 and December 23 of 2014. The technique we are using on my back is more of a procedure than what I consider true surgery.


Once I am checked in by my dermatologist's nurse, the doctor comes in and marks the tumors he wants addressed for the day. After he marks the area he numbs it with local anesthesia. On December 8, 2014, he removed five different tumors. Those are shown after the anesthesia in the pictures below.




First 2 tumors left of Mile 24
Third site the center of the nape of my neck




The fourth tumor is on the left shoulder area






The fifth tumor is on the left side of my neck



Once all the sites are numb the doctor performs biopsies on each one. This is new this year as the insurance companies are becoming more critical with all procedures regarding the skin.  Several of them don't pay unless each site is proven to be cancerous. At this point there should be no question about my having basil cell. My doctors are having to go on the offensive to make sure they get reimbursed properly and I don't get wrongfully charged.

After the biopsies are completed the sites are E&C. That is electrodessication and cauterization. The tumor is scrapped away and the skin then cauterized to stop any bleeding.
I have found this procedure to be more uncomfortable in the days that follow than the Mohs surgeries. This procedure is more shallow and evidently affects the nerve endings at the skin surface in a completely different way than other surgeries.

On December 23 I had two more tumors removed.

 
Center of back next to Mile 24












Site on rear of left shoulder




Take Away Nugget: Never get discouraged about taking the time to do the right thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.