Monday, August 4, 2014

Mile 21 with Basal Cell Nevus Syndrome

A friendly reminder, my pictures are graphic.

So Mile 21 was on July 23, 2014. I am believing this was my last surgery day.  Not that I am anxious to start laser or photo dynamic therapy as they have their own sets of challenges to overcome.

I was actually in a good place mentally when I arrived.  The first test for my sanity for the day came with the announcement that I would have a different nurse attending me.  My surgeon knows me well enough that he made not one but two trips to my room to discuss this with me before ANY exam or marking began for the day.  I have had the same nurse for every procedure and follow up since I began this marathon over a year ago.  However, I am on a first name basis with most of the office now.  I have visited with the "new" nurse a lot so it's not like she was a complete stranger. 

I must have been visibly upset as they got my husband and brought him back.  He was not much help. LOL.  He said, "Really!  You are the first person to tell someone to suck it up.  Put on your big girl panties.  Life is one change after another.  God did not put this person in your way today, he put her in your path.  Now what you do with her is what He's looking at."  Ouch!!  Talk about getting hit with your own words.

To top it off the artwork in my new room with my new nurse was a pig jumping off a dock into a pond.  For you farmers out there, I do know pigs do not do this in real life.  Very appropriate for me that day though.  So I calmed down and we got down to business.

One of the previous biopsies over my lip came back positive.  After discussion and more shaving on my head my surgeon decides to operate on three tumor sites and biopsy a fourth.


Spot 1 over my left lip pre-op



Spot one is the tumor revealed by the biopsy during Mile 20. It took two stages and did go into the top of my lip.







Spot 1 Post op


The surgeon opted to let this site heal open.  What they call secondary intent, I believe.  His concern was that stitching this site would pull my lip line and leave it looking more deformed than having a minimal scar along the top.  We shall see.


 
Spot 2 over my left ear and 3 is behind





Spot 2 was the beast of the day taking 6 stages to get free of cancer.  Spot 3 was just biopsied on  surgery day.






Spot 2 post op and spot 3


I have had tumors with 5 stages and even bigger wound sites.  This site took 6 to get cancer free.  Every stage looked like it barely had any there so the stages were smaller than previous surgeries. The whole point of doing MOHS is to leave as much healthy tissue as possible and still get all of the cancer.





Spot 4 behind my right ear.
 

Spot 4 took only three stages to get clear. This was the one we thought might actually be a beast and go into the area above it where a previous tumor had been remove.







Spot 4 post op





It may be hard to tell but after three stages the wound site was slightly larger than a quarter.  The pinker skin behind my ear is a previous mile where no hair is returning. We will have to wait and see if hair will return when this new one heals.



I have a follow up in a week.  That is when we decide where to go from here. Yes, I have said that numerous times before. Time will tell.


Take Away Nugget: Don't Mistake Simple People As Being Simple Minded

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.