Friday, September 27, 2013

Mile #8 with Basal Cell Nevus Syndrome


Reminder: Pictures are Graphic
At home after surgery
Prior to each surgery my doctor checks the healing process of previous miles. Mile #8 starts with instruction to leave all miles except #7 naked. Leaving these sites open will allow the new skin to finish closing over the surgery sites. Now that is great news. I am beyond thankful. The past two weeks have been the most difficult I have had so far. I was taking pain medication every four hours for the first five days and every six for two more days after that. Prior to Mile #7 I had managed with pain medication every six to eight hours for no more than three days.


Remainder of Mile #2 (top) and Mile #6 (bottom)
 
 
Mile #2 is completely covered in new skin. It is slightly irritated at the top left side from being covered and getting overheated. Mile #6 is gellin. Meaning the new skin is started yet still tacky to the touch and glossy in appearance. In the photograph is a little hard to tell where one mile ends and another starts. The only edge not cancer free in this photograph is the area above my ear and going down my jawline. My jaw is part of Mile #8 below.

Remainder of Mile #3 (bottom) and Mile #7 (top)


Mile #3 is almost completely covered in new skin and is also irritated from being covered. That will be resolved now that Mile #3 can go naked. Don't let Mile #7 freak you out. It is the deepest wound so far. It is discolored but not infected or anything like that. It has gone through the first two stages of wound healing. Technically called hemostasis and inflammation stage and is headed to the proliferation stage. Now aren't you glad I just call it swellin and gellin. I say the coloration is caused from platelets in overdrive. If you insist on the medical jargon feel free to google "stages for wound healing". The final stage is maturation or remodeling stage. That is where new skin is grown over. The skin becomes tight and scars can develop. That is when you hear me say "I am buttering the wound site". Cocoa butter is my best friend right now. I choose not to use expensive scar creams. I am not a designer kind of girl.

My husband cut my hair in prep for another scalp surgery. The nurse cut more from my bangs so the hair won't lay on the surgery sites. I cannot remember ever having hair this short. So be it, short it is and short it may stay. The doctor said keeping it this short should allow him to operate on the rest of my scalp and not have to completely shave my head. the thought of not having to be Mrs. Clean is appealing. 

For Mile #8 we take on my left jaw line and a little guy below my left eye. After this procedure I should be finished with surgeries on the lower half of my face. The basal that remains there should be treatable with laser or a topical agent.

Mile 8 A Before
Mile 8A After


My doctor was not so sure about messing with the spot below my eye. He thought for sure it was just a Seborrheic Keratoses, something like an age spot. The spot under my eye was indeed Basal Cell.









Mile 8B Before
Mile 8B After


I believed the area along my left jaw would be a twin to Mile #2 my right jaw. That is just me comparing before pictures in my head.


My new mantra is if it annoys me it has to go.  This surgery required only 1 stage at both sites to be clear of basal cells.  A first for me!!



Another Hallelujah. Both sites get to leave with stitches. They may not look pretty.  But they are a breeze to care for. I am believing that history will repeat itself and in 7 days I will be stitch less. Another bonus for me with stitches is that two days post op I am off prescription pain medication.

Mile 8 A & B Stitched & Ready to Go!!
 Take away nugget:  Sometimes God calms the Storm. Sometimes God lets the Storm Rage and calms his child.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.