Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My Texas Roadtrip

Thank You all for your support and emails. Please feel free to comment on the blog itself or follow me.  Who knows, your comments may help someone else.

Blogging from Texas

I am still on vacation in Texas. Texas is unbelievable. I absolutely love it here. I fly into San Antonio and go from there to visit my Mom's in Fredericksberg. We decided to make Labor Day weekend a road trip.

Saturday, my mom and I head to Dallas and visit the Museum of Biblical Art www.biblicalarts.org  . Fabulous! If you find yourself in Dallas with a few hours to spare it is very nice. We are there expressly to see "The Resurrection of Christ", a 12 foot by 40 foot oil painting, by Ron Dicianni. We spend 30 minutes just taking it in with it's audio tour. When we arrive we notice everyone getting out of their vehicle in suits, ties and heels. We are in capris and t-shirts, awkward. We ask the couple getting out of the vehicle next to us if this is the museum. "Yes, there is a wedding reception here."  They still allow tours with other functions, just a third of the museum is blocked off during this event.

We spend almost two hours there. A patron of the museum looks at me and says "That's what you get when you try to ride the bulls". While at home I hear: "you poor thing", "when was your accident", "how's the other guy" and so on.  Any time I am asked I give my standard reply, "Oh no honey I'm killing cancer".  Texans have an entirely different mind set .  At the hotel in Glen Rose people see my bandages and ask if I am part of the rodeo barrel racing. 
 
This is truly a special time. My brother is a grandpa now. His daughter is in town from North Carolina with her daughter for the long weekend. His older son is here from Waco, Texas where he attends college and lives with his wife and daughter.  I got to see family I have not seen in years. Kids of all ages are priceless. My great niece informs me that her momma told her I have an "owey", that's why I have all the bandages. She asks if they hurt, I tell her "not today", she says "good" and that is that.

Beware those of you having similar fates as mine. I did not think it was very hot on my brother's covered court yard where we spent several hours.  I ended up with heat rash under one bandage and my cheek actually started to bleed. My surgeon knows what he is talking about when he says stay cool.

Sunday morning we attend my brother's church, Stone Water, in Glen Rose. http://new.stonewaterchurch.com/glen-rose-campus They truly have a heart for God's people. My brother's youngest son was the lead guitarist for their praise band. He is starting college at Texas A&M this year, and is already moved into his dorm. I am believing he will find a church there he loves as much as Stone Water. It is the first time I was able to attend church with my brother at his home church. His church family was very welcoming and gracious.

After church we head for Fort Worth for lunch at Pappasitas. A friend of my nephew's gives me a hug and says he hopes everything goes better than I hope. Southern gentlemen come in all ages.

We visit the Fort Worth Stockyards. I call it Fort Worth's answer to New Orleans', Bourbon Street or Chicago's, Lake Shore Drive. It is definitely a tourist destination. Several motorcyclists visiting the area ask about my "road rash". I imagine I was quite the site. Everyone  is having fun in the sun and I am walking under a king size black umbrella. If I could have found one more appropriate for a southern belle I would have carried it. Hot and tired, we head back to Glen Rose after the 4 o'clock cattle drive down the main thoroughfare.  Guess the combination of exploring shops and the umbrella worked.  No problems with my "wounds".

Mom and I returned to Fredericksburg today. Odd being tired and exhilarated at the same time.



Take Away Nugget: Everyday GOD gives us a rainbow even if some days we can only see it in the shower.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.