Friday, October 25, 2013

The Crawl to Mile #10

To this point I have tried to at least do weekly updates. My surgeries take place every other Tuesday.  Mile #9 kind of knocked me off that schedule.  In fact it kicked my butt!!  You saw the pictures in my 10/11 post.  This is what happened post surgery.

My surgeon and I agreed on 2 spots as we thought the left side might bless us with stitches. Once again I find I am writing the book on how Basal Cell Nevus Syndrome behaves. Nothing is as it seems. Once you meet the scalpel for the day your are committed to see it to the end.

I managed to sleep in my bed for about 6 hours. By that time any remnants of local anesthetic was gone. So off to my chair and ottoman I went. By Wednesday morning I was taking two pain pills every 4 hours to dull the roar in my head.  I thought a couple of days of this and I should pass the worst of the pain.  Wrong.

Early Saturday morning I text my surgeon. I apologize for not contacting him by Thursday. Then I essentially beg for better pain medicines. He doubles the strength I am on and still allows me to double up on those every 4 to 6 hours as needed.

Saturday evening is my first pain free night. Pain free does not mean I am able to sleep with any sort of pressure on my head. Any attempt at that and the little jackhammer gremlin go into overdrive.

Sunday morning brought another twist to the party. Pain medicine is producing nausea and sleeping upright left my ankles the same size as my knees. So I introduce an anti nausea agent to the party. Then Sunday evening I build a pyramid on my ottoman to try and keep my ankles above my heart.

Monday what relief I could wear shoes again. Still puffy but not elephant like. And by the end of the day I am on two pain pills every six hours instead of four. Thank you Jesus we are headed in the right direction.

Tuesday, and we are midway to mile 10. So here's how the previous miles looked on Wednesday 10/16/13.
 
Miles #1, #2 and #5

Miles #3, #7 and #9 left







Miles #2 and  #6

Mile #9 Right rear scalp



















Thursday comes and I am down to 1 pain pill, all be it the stronger dose, every 6 hours. Still sleeping in my chair. Friday and Saturday are pretty much the same. 

Saturday, 10/19/13, I notice the little jackhammer gremlin has not made an appearance. I know a lot of people say sleep is over rated and that may be true. However, sleep in a chair for 10 days and then your bed becomes heaven on earth. I slept almost 12 hours once I got into bed. I texted my pastor between services to let him know the good news. I did not make it to church Sunday morning. I did however feel like a new woman.

Monday comes and I am only needing regular Tylenol to keep comfortable. Pray for me, Tuesday is another surgery day.  


Take away nugget: There are two things you cannot change, Yesterday and Tomorrow. Be Present in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.