Monday, November 11, 2013

Mile #11 with Basal Cell

It is amazing the questions that surface with this cancer. I was having my eleventh surgery session this past Tuesday and was asked by a fellow patient "Why would you put yourself through this?"

Why indeed. Ignoring this condition is not an option. In 2005 I had only 3 spots on my back. Two of which I had removed. None of those were larger than a pencil eraser and they were limited to my right shoulder blade area.  The spot on the far right was the only one remaining in 2005. This is what I have to look forward to in 2014.




The sadder truth is I am guilty of ignoring my body. I was unaware of most of these spots as they are flat. I cannot feel them. They are all cancer and some are probably sharing basement condos.


In my last post I discussed my eyes. It looks like my Christmas present to me will be my eyes. The surgeons have decided they can do both eyes and my forehead in 4 procedures. So Thursday Dec. 12, I will have my left eye Mohs performed and Friday Dec. 13, I will have the reconstruction done. The following week I will repeat that schedule with my right eye and forehead. With that in mind and another surgery on Nov. 19th. I could meet my goal of having my head and face clear by the end of the year.

 For Mile #11 we shaved more of my head and got rid of three more lesions across the top. The tuft of hair in the top of the photo is the remains of my bangs.



Mile #11 Pre op


The spot on the top left required only one stage to clear. The spot on the bottom required two stages. The spot in between the two required three stages. All three are clear of cancer. 



Mile #11 post op



My scalp now resembles the moon's surface. My mom and my aunt blessed me with some scarves. So scarves it will be for a while. The bright side is there is evidence of new hair growth on all the previous miles on my head. That is cause for a happy dance. No, You Tube is not prepared for all this happy dancing. 









I cannot thank my friends and family enough for their support. I have had the pleasure of meeting some incredible health care professionals. I have been able to speak to parents with children newly diagnosed with BCCNS. 

God has put me in the path of a woman that has this same type of cancer and is paralyzed with fear. I will be with her for her first surgery in 10 days. She calls me her angel. I do not see myself as an angel. I am outgoing and can be loud. Yet until recently I would have said I was mild mannered even complacent. Now I see myself as a warrior. Ok so some of God's angels are indeed warriors. This is a war no one can afford to loose. If I loose this war it will not be from lack of knowledge or the use of the power gained by knowledge.  I also intend to fight for anyone put in my path that is affected by skin cancer.


Take Away Nugget: People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.