Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Mile #12 with Basal Cell Nevus Syndrome


It is surgery day. November 19 and the decision is made to leave the area over my ears until after the cancer is removed from my eyelids in December. The areas over my ears will be done in January, 2014. 

The new patient I mentioned earlier had her first Mohs today. Her cancer was over 3.5 cm long before surgery. She did great. I was able to be with her through the procedure and as large a her cancer appeared it was all bark and no bite. One stage and she was done for the day. She started after me and left 3 hours before me. I am very thankful that I could be there for her. My husband and I enjoyed visiting with her and her brother. I believe we have made two new life long friends.

The last 3 spots on my scalp appear innocent enough. Out of the three only one is raised enough to feel it with my fingers. As the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Here are the next three sites in my journey.

Spot one is the only one that I could feel. It's located on the left parietal scalp. This area took 2 stages and is clear. The wound ended up being 1.3 x 1.5 cm.

Mile #12 Spot 1 After 



Mile #12 Spot 1 Before


 
Mile #12 Spot 2 Before


Mile #12 Spot 2 After
Spot two is not raised at all. The before picture shows only a slightly discolored area located on the left occipital scalp.
                                             
















 This spot also took 2 stages and is clear. The wound ended up being 1.2 x 2.1 cm.      







                                    

Mile #12 Spot 3 Before


Spot three was barely raised. I could only feel it when I pushed at just the right spot. It looked like a pale freckle. Isn't that an understatement. It's located on the occipital scalp.


Mile #12 Spot 3 After


 This spot took 4 stages. It was not nearly as deep as most cancers on my scalp but wide under the surface. The wound ended up being 1.7 x 2.5 cm. 

The pink in the lower section of the picture is the new skin from Mile #9. Literally a hairline separated the two areas of cancer. 

I do not sleep well the night before surgery. This time was no exception. I usually have to pray and work to get into my happy place. Today I woke up with a warrior attitude. I even had Ephesians 6 on my mind. 

That being said...


Take Away Nugget:  Always be dressed for success. Especially with your attitude. 
                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.