Sunday, June 14, 2015

Life Happens...Part One

Throughout January I had been reading Eat To Live. After talking to my primary care physician, cardiologist and naturalist, I embarked on a second journey and radically changed my eating habits. I joined T.O.P.S. That is a national organization, Taking Off Pounds Sensibly. It just so happens one of the chapters meets in my church. I have found that when I commit to organizations with a team in my corner specifically to hold me accountable, in this case to weight loss, I am much more committed..

The first two weeks of January I concentrated on eliminating caffeinated and sweetened beverages. I had most of my sigmoid colon removed in 2012 and had gotten off of sodas at that time. Sweet tea and coffee with French vanilla creamer was another story. So gone was the tea and the coffee. By the third week of January I was eliminating what I considered white flour products. I was experiencing what I thought to be mild detox issues but nothing horrible.

My next BCCNS procedure was 1/23/15. My dermatologist biopsied a spot on my jaw, another on my neck and two on my back. He scraped and cauterized all of them. I transferred the pictures to my laptop 1/24/15.  I had intended to write my post the following week. I have no good reasons as to why I did not. I let Life get in the way.

The week of the 25th flew by however, I began the Aldera cream on my neck and shoulders. The schedule was to be treatments on Monday through Friday and get a break for Saturday and Sunday.

I had a conference with my marketing business in Kansas from 1/30-2/1/15. One of the speakers was Dr. Dwight Lundell, a cardiovascular surgeon, I got a minute to talk to him about my cancer and trying to change my body mass and chemistry. He said, " Forgive me but kill all the sugar that is what feeds the bastards (cancer cells). Genetic condition or not they have to be fed to grow." I came back home excited to get on with my journey. What I got the first week of February was flu like symptoms. I was down for several days.  It could have indeed been the flu or my body's reaction to the radical dietary changes.

On Monday, February 9th I sat down with my laptop to post on my blog. Well my laptop was not cooperating. I was to be in Fredericksburg, Texas from the 11th to the 18th of February so I took my laptop with me.  Mom and I proceeded to clean it up as best as we knew how and then took it to her IT guy. During my stay with her we discussed my sugar elimination and I realized I had still been getting more than I needed in salad dressings and my multi grain bread. So together we reread Eat To Live. More changes had to be made.

I left sunny Texas returning to dreary below zero Missouri and found myself experiencing severe pain along my scar tissue on both my head and my face. I spoke with my primary care doctor and he believes it was nerve pain. It may have presented due to climate change from my trip. I accepted the prescription he gave me but decided later not to take the medication due to the extensive side effects.

Some good news! In February I lost 15.5 pounds. Woo Hoo!! I have not missed many of the foods eliminated. I expected breads to be my nemesis. It turns out cheese is the bigger villain. I have craved it, pulled it out of the refrigerator cursed it and put it back. It only lives in my house because I do not live alone.

On March 2nd I sat down once again to blog.  My laptop crashed. My pictures were all on there but the computer doctor was able to at least recover those for me.

Another revelation that appeared with this new year is the new insurance regulations have affected me much more than I anticipated. It seems that now before any procedure on my BCCNS the tumor has to be biopsy proven. Yes, it must be biopsied to prove that it is BCCNS before treatment. Previous diagnosis does not apply. Just the procedure from 1/23/15 left me with $700 dollars in lab fees for the biopsy my insurance doesn't want to cover. Yes indeed,  LIFE HAPPENS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.