Sunday, December 7, 2014

Mile 24 with Basal Cell Nevus Syndrome

My full back has over 30 tumors visible

It is not pretty but it is mine. The morning before my first back surgery this is how it looks from a distance. It reminiscent of several astrological constellations piled on top of each other.

When I arrived at my dermatologist on October 21 he once again went over the big picture (no pun intended) with me on how he wanted to proceed. 

He decides to biopsy and cauterize the tumor shown towards my right arm. He believes this tumor to be very superficial. 


Tumor site marked and numbed
Tumor site after cauterizing






















The tumor to the right in the cluster of three near the center of my back is also a target this visit. He biopsied then excised this tumor before stitching it up. This tumor lead into a nerve ending making the process of stitching it up not completely pain free.  This will bee the first site with stitches that gives me a lot of discomfort. 

The skin on the back moves with almost every movement we make. That being explained the dermatologist leaves stitches in the back for at least 10 days before removing them. I am scheduled Monday November 3rd to get my stitches out.

Tumor site after marking, and excision
Tumor site after stitching






Both sites 24 hours post op


 The spot in the top center of my back in between my shoulder blades appears to be more invasive. My dermatologist refers me to my Mohs surgeon to get this one removed. I get an appointment for Wednesday, October 29th for this procedure.

Tumor Site marked before numbing or first stage

 This site requires only 2 stages to be cancer free.The surgeon leaves it open to heal. I am used to this since over 90 percent of the sites on my head were left to heal the same way. The difference here is the wound will have to stay covered until it is healed over with new skin. The friction of clothing rubbing against the open wound slows healing and promotes infection. My Mohs surgeon supplies me with a product called duoderm to cover my back wounds. It is a medicated and padded dressing that is adhesive on its own. No more skin break down from tape if I am lucky.



After 2 stages site is cancer free


On November 3rd I got the stitches out of the incision on my back. The wound site is raised and tender but has healed nicely.


After stitches


 All three sites are doing well. my dermatologist checked them all when he removed my stitches.


All three sites November 3, 2014


All three sites November 12, 2014

I have a laser procedure on my face November 20. That procedure will be covered in Mile 25.


On November 21 I returned to my dermatologist to hae another surgery on some of the tumors on my back. I was very flushed, slightly nauseated and had a low grade fever. He attributed it to my laser procedure the previous day and reschedules me to December 8, 2014 to resume on my back. He did check the progress of my healing.


All three sites November 21, 2014

As you can see in all the photographs the duoderm has done its job. I have no skin breakdown from the adhesive. Duoderm is made to stay on up to a week. The wound site towards my shoulder held perfectly. The site between my shoulders had to be changed daily. The bandage just did not stay. So I had staining issues with my clothing and sheets from the wounds oozing overnight. That's why they make Shout and Oxy Clean.



Take Away Nugget: If God wanted us to see only black or white there would be no need for flowers or rainbows.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Please don't leave self serving or ugly comments.